NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

It’s a close tossup between NYC, SF and Boston. Austin is coming in running though, I think it will be the USA’s premier tech city in the coming decades.

2 Likes

New York City Already Has Lots of Jobs, Thank You
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-20/new-york-doesn-t-need-the-jobs-amazon-had-to-offer

2 Likes

For those that have a real deal subscription, nyc development map.

Development Map (3D): https://therealdeal.com/research-map/3D-basic-devl-map.html

2 Likes

This animation illustrates the development of NYC’s street grid and infrastructure systems from 1609 to the present-day, using geo-referenced road network data and historic maps. The resulting short film presents a series of “cartographic snapshots” of NYC’s built-up urban area at intervals of every 20-30 years history.

5 Likes
3 Likes

!!! :rotating_light:
“Over the coming years, we will push out the Lower Manhattan coastline as much as 500 feet, or up to two city blocks, into the East River, from the Brooklyn Bridge to the Battery.”

4 Likes

best city in the world! https://abc7ny.com/society/nyc-ranks-no-1-best-city-in-the-world-in-survey/5191819/

3 Likes

St Patricks day parade. Via Earthcam just now. Captured a couple of things.

6 Likes

What the heck is going on today?

Edit: Never mind I believe its the marathon

3 Likes

NYC half. Plus St Paddy’s.

2 Likes

Spotted this on the cameras.

“trans world airlines”

7 Likes

2019 Celebration of Retro TWA Hotel - Wingless Plane Times Square 4490 by Brecht Bug, on Flickr

6 Likes

This will be overshadowed by other news tomorrow, but I think we can all agree there is no way NYC lost population. Thankfully the intercensal guesstimates are not actually used for any substantive decision-making; it’s just a news item.

2 Likes

Could the age of glass rectangles finally be over?

5 Likes

Please god

4 Likes

Its just pandering to the base.

And also why developers are starting to see NYC as a hostile development market. Not because of this bill, because of the bs happening lately such as Amazon or rising construction costs or rising community input and aggressiveness. If you ask me… its a damn shame. :frowning:

1 Like

Yea i’m not a fan of NIMBY’s but I would 100% support a bill banning bad architecture :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“The Kaufman Deal”

2 Likes

Side question: what does anyone even do about rising construction costs?

NY has one of the hottest real estate markets on planet earth and rent is already too high for most people to afford.

Raise wages for everyone? You can’t lower construction workers wages because their rent is too high.

IDK it’s a catch 22.

1 Like

Mitigate the risk in a hot market by increasing the density parameters and zoning. Developers ideally would love to build tons of units to meet the demand, but are limited. Give them enough wiggle room to make a nice profit, add tons of units, and we might be heading somewhere. The demand is quite high, and folks are leaving due to rents, which can be controlled by adding much needed supply.

The real limiting reagent in all of this is transit. But as we know, that is a ticking-time bomb of a problem (transit).

More units are needed. The odds of getting an affordable unit are 1 in 600 due to how many applicants versus how many units are allotted for that. Not very good odds.

The city is allowing these residents to bleed out, which will only hurt the growth potential of the city going forward. The city will still grow, but every resident lost is lost economic opportunity.

3 Likes