NEW YORK | One World Trade Center | 1,776 FT (spire) / 1,368 FT (parapet) | 104 FLOORS

I think the stains and holes on this building have really been holding it back, but once that is resolved this building has the potential to really be the crown jewel of NYC

1 Like

IMO, 1 WTC is quite underwhelming and a missed opportunity. I hope something taller than that antenna is built in the city.

3 Likes

Looks great now that it’s clean

7 Likes

It’s so close to being clean but there are still some original grime patches on upper floors…

1 Like

8 Likes

8 Likes

Came across this…so it seems totally new platforms are currently being built for the new BMU…

6 Likes

I love how you can see the topping out beams there

4 Likes

I just can’t believe there is no way to get machines up to the roof. If anything ever needed serious repair up there they have to figure it out by hand?! No wonder it’s taking so long to replace the BMU.

0 Likes

Any chance they can replace the spire while they’re up there? :joy::sob:

7 Likes

These are building maintenance units, not building miracle units.

3 Likes

This tower is spectacular.
Bonus shot: 125 Greenwich

2 Likes

If Foster’s tower rises, that shot, if replicated, would be incredible.

2 Likes

David Childs displayed his talent with 35 Hudson Yards, but I’m not sure this one is so universally liked.

Coming up with a building for a site like this that pleases the developer AND most fans of architecture is up there with a mile-high skyscraper for difficulty.

0 Likes

I agree, especially since there was and still is a lot of emotion at play in regards to the site. Many people just wanted the twin towers back, and so nothing that rose here would ever be satisfying to them.

I, for one, love 1WTC. We all know the spire is what it is, but the building is an intimate part of the NYC skyline for me and one I always enjoy seeing it on display.

3 Likes

I wish it had a masonry base. A glass obelisk on a stone base would be nicer than the current schlock LED display.

2 Likes

I’ve secretly wished they made it 1776 feet (because they wanted that figure for symbolic reasons) to the roof and the spire to 2001 (also symbolic).

2 Likes

The black and white pic (from instagram) shows the boom of the new BMU being swung out for what I assume is the first time… the bottom one gives a decent view of the unit from the side

6 Likes

Interesting. From the first pic it looks like they’ve been cleaning their way up the building?

1 Like

The bottom half of the building was cleaned using temporary suspension from the mechanical floors over the summer. There hasn’t been any cleaning since it got cold again, but the way things seem the new machines will be ready to clean for the next warm season

2 Likes