NEW YORK + ARLINGTON | Amazon HQ2 News

The subway carries more people in one day than the entire ferry system carries in a year. In the scope of everyone getting around NYC, the ferry system is a rounding error. That’s why no one is talking about it. And the ferries have a huge city subsidy, at taxpayer expense, that seems to benefit tourists and well-paid wall-streeters more than working-class commuters. Here’s a good article on it:

That article only discussed the cost breakdown. It didn’t say anything about the logistics of why they are doing it.

Amazon exec’s took the ferry with New York civic workers when they were doing site visits and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a little part of the reason they picked LIC/New York over other cities.

“A person briefed on the discussions said city officials took Amazon executives looking for a new headquarters, known as HQ2, around the area three times, in April, July and September. In one instance, the person said, they toured on Citi Bikes, the local bike-share program; in another, they took a sunset ride on one of the city’s new fast ferries.”

They were charmed!

I figured the new ferries over on the east side were heavily subsidized especially at their low subway fare. The ny waterway on the hudson is like $7-9 each way and I think I heard even that is subsidized. I think I read ny waterway fare should be over $15. That far rockaway true cost is crazy high. These boats are not cheap to run I guess.

Haha. Definitely. The ferries are pretty nice to ride despite all the controversy.

This makes me want to scout the ferry option myself.

That almost sounds like a vote in favor of the ferry for an Amazon HQ2 employee with a relatively high-paying tech job who wants to live in Manhattan and commute to LIC. The recent expansion of the fleet seems serendipitous given the HQ2 news. Maybe Amazon will end up with its own navy courtesy of NYC to add to its ever-expanding arsenal.

Amazon Chooses New York City and Northern Virginia for Additional Headquarters

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-chooses-new-york-city-and-northern-virginia-for-additional-headquarters-1542075336?mod=hp_lead_pos1

New York City and Northern Virginia will be the homes for Amazon.com Inc.’s AMZN -4.41% second and third headquarters, according to people familiar with the matter, ending a more than yearlong public contest that started with 238 candidates and ended with a surprise split of its so-called HQ2.

The imminent announcement is expected as soon as Tuesday, according to the people. Other cities may also receive major sites, some of the people said.

Amazon is dividing the second headquarters evenly between New York’s Long Island City and Arlington County’s Crystal City neighborhoods, which are both located directly across from the major city centers. The decision effectively gives Amazon a major presence in three coastal cities

In addition to LIC, I hope they buy 1m sf at 2 WTC.

Oh man this is really happening huh? Giving away all this money and didn’t even attempt to get private assistance for transit improvements in LIC? So we will go right from L train shutdown madness to Amazon madness.

Still though, this is pretty damn amazing for Queens. I do think we need to have decentralized business districts. I wonder if we will ever have mass development in Flushing or Jamaica at the scale of LIC.

There will always be naysayers and catastrophizers. But this move went well beyond anything NYC or NYS offered Amazon. Amazon choosing NYC was much more of a natural, osmotic process in my opinion. The company needs top tech talent, and creating a large presence in NYC is the best way to attract those people. Amazon isn’t alone in this regard - consider Google’s plans to more than double its current workforce in NYC as one example. Facebook has a large presence here already and NYC is Twitter’s second largest office behind San Francisco. This shift is beyond any one person or company, it’s just change.

As Brexit damages the city of London, the world capital roars louder than ever!

I’m all for it. I work in IT so NYC becoming a digital hub is great for my career in the long run lol.

This will probably be a major catalyst to move forward with Sunnyside Yards.

It’s already a bonanza!!

I hope that it also prompts MSG to move to LIC.

If we’re making an Amazon wishlist, why not also bury a rail station under LIC’s MSG, e.g. with a direct rail line to Grand Central and LGA.

Amazon leasing 1 million square feet in One Court Square per Lois Weiss on Twitter.

Lois also says Amazon can expand to 40,000 jobs in NYC instead of the 25,000 we’ve been hearing.