NEW YORK | 66 Hudson Blvd (The Spiral) | 1,005 FT | 64 FLOORS

Today

Today. They started digging down now

On site rendering/massing.

I like the building that Friedmans restaurant is in across the street

I agree.

Nice shots,JC

Nice pics!

I think it was either posted on this thread or another forum, but man does it look like there needs to be one more “tier”. It looks too squat proportion wise.

Reposting this since the link was broken:

I feel like both this and 50 HY are too short for their enormous plots. Makes them look fat and awkward.

Indeed. This was my post in May 2017.

I think this design would look much better if it continued upwards for another 750-1000 feet. It’s too stout for only 1000 feet.

These are from Wednesday, the site was very active when I walked by.

Moving this to u/c. :beers:

In the winter I was hoping there would be a race between this and 50 HY but I think 50 is about 3-4 months ahead of this one.

Anyone know the structural system of each building?

Although I’m not an engineer it looks like 50 HY will have reinforced concrete for its columns and core like 10 HY, but I get the feeling the Spiral design will require steel exterior columns.

Although a lot of us like tall and thin buildings for aesthetic reasons, large floor plates seem to be in vogue for tenants. Between Spiral, 50 and 30 HY alone there will be basically the same amount of office space on less total floors than the old twins (64+58+73=195 floors vs 220 for twins, 2.8+2.8+2.5=8.1 vs ~8.4 for twins).

50 Hudson is concrete core and steel frame, a la 1 MW.

66 Hudson is concrete core and steel frame, a la 1 vanderbilt, where there is a temporary steel core that is swallowed by the permanent concrete core

509 West 34th Street (The Spiral) by NyConstructionPhoto, on Flickr

Looking forward to seeing this rise, at least we will see a supertall by BIG rise in Manhattan. Unfortunate for 2 WTC

The parcel is right next to 50 Hudson too, which from a street perspective, will really make for an imposing, dynamic perspective from sea-level. I recall many years ago riding bicycles around the area, and the crummy low rises and garages around the area (I use to bike a lot in Manhattan via rental bikes). This part of the island use to be dead somewhat, but that is changing. Its becoming the area to visit, not shun.

There’s still a lot of work to be done. Like the low rises in the above pics by ILNY. I’d like to see those go.

An entire downtown in many cities.