NEW YORK | 50 Hudson Yards (504-522 W 34th) | 985 FT | 58 FLOORS

Foster should be banned from NY. He’s a dick.

Wanted to say this for a while

This is ugly, it’s heinous, the only thing that deserves to be called “acceptable” is the cladding, but it’s just too big to be this ugly.

I still don’t get why Norman Foster has not designed something like 2 WTC instead of this

This building has a massive plot, it deserves something special, structurally and externally.
If someone ever signs a lease for this mediocre building, they should be ashamed for not picking 2 WTC instead.

Not only are they in partnership to build 55 Hudson Yards, They are now also partners to build 50 Hudson Yards.

Mitsui Fudosan to build $3.6bn-plus office building in New York
The 58-floor skyscraper will be among Manhattan’s biggest:

TOKYO – Japanese property developer Mitsui Fudosan is building a 58-floor office building in the heart of New York as part of a local partnership.

The company will hold a roughly 90% stake in the project, which is expected to cost more than 400 billion yen ($3.62 billion). With a total floor space of about 260,000 sq. meters, the building will be one of the largest in Manhattan, and the Tokyo-based builder’s biggest in the world. It is slated for completion in 2022.

Asset management company BlackRock has already signed up as a tenant. Mitsui Fudosan also aims to set up commercial space inside the building, using its past experience with similar facilities in Japan.

Mitsui Fudosan is building another 51-floor high-rise there to be completed next year. It has already found tenants for 80% of the space at higher-than-expected rents.

I really hope that the Girasole is rising now. It will be amazing to see it, the Spiral, and 50 HY rise simultaneously.

through the nooks

20170816-_IGP9626 by Bill Benzon, on Flickr

You say Foster, I say Vinoly!

I’d say that almost everyone here would prefer anyone over this lol. I think if the tower wasn’t so bulky, and the facade facing the river wasn’t as square with those spandrels, it could have been better. It just looks so out of scale, compared to the other towers that have a few setbacks or taper at the top. I’d have loved a design by Renzo Piano or OMA or even Herzog and De Meuron.

Foster sucks Vera Wang.

view via 10th ave and 34th Street

20 years from now, people will wonder if this was built in the 70s or 90s. What a boring, dated design.

How tall was this originally speculated to be before this bohemith was approved? The tower could have been much taller and slender correct?

A modification that would help (slightly) is if the uppermost box set back on the north and south sides.

Another idea would be double-height open air breezeways between the three “boxes”.

There was a ton of work going on here today. Lots of excavators digging and parts of the old coach building are coming down. (The northwest corner had some sections where brick had been taken down. ).

@moshe.aharoni on instagram

More demo on old coach, plus a lot more excavation. I guess this one will have a more traditional foundation for the yards.

Better shot of the old Coach.