NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1400 FT | 70 FLOORS

they will demolish completely?

2 Likes

Yes! Gone forever!

1 Like

If 270 Park looks anything like that it will make every other building near it look very dated.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of that base. From a pedestrian perspective, besides maybe landscaping and some seating, all one sees is a building on stilts, a huge slanted wall/overhang and a concrete core. That is not very inviting or attractive.

3 Likes

It’s very reminiscent of his Toronto proposal. External structure doubling as a decorative feature with green wall:

9 Likes

It really seems like a poorly executed, Russian version of 45 Broad just from the base.

1 Like

scaffolding going up on the Madison ave side

14 Likes

A screenshot from the CPC Review Session held on 11th March. Seems like they settled with the 1400’ version.

5 Likes

Pretty insane that it looks like a 1400’ building will be supported by just 14 giant columns and no concrete core (at least at ground level). Also very weird placement of the elevators; maybe those only go to sky lobby?

Edit I think its 14 columns

7 Likes

7 Likes

looks like most of the lower portion of the tower will cantilever. The concept reminds me of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange tower, but less extreme of course.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/shenzhen-stock-exchange/1144

5 Likes

I’ll take 1,400’ of that!

1 Like

I think there may be potential for a skyline element above the roof. If you look at the base rendering and match it with the support columns in the overhead graphic, there are three columns on the north and south sides that fan out into 4 additional columns which I assume run the height of the building.

3 Likes

So they went with the shorter version? Figures.

1 Like

the shortest and stumpiest version always wins haha!

more scaffolding action

10 Likes

Thanks for the update! Looks like they are still planning to start demolition in April.
I wonder whether they’ve started moving the staff already.

4 Likes

I just want an Art Deco massing with internationalist glass styles

3 Likes
12 Likes

scaffolding up on park ave + black shroud on the Madison ave side

13 Likes

I’m just dying to see full renderings of this tower. What’s taking them so long? I really thought we’d have seen the full design by now. Every morning over my coffee I read NY YIMBY and I’m always disappointed that there’s no big 270 Park news.

That rendering of the base was very tantalizing. I love the cross bracing, the warm bronze color, and the green wall at street level. I’m hoping for a tower with heavy decorative/structural external bracing that somehow comes together at the top to make a nice crown. I think Foster can pull it off. He did it with the Oceanwide tower in SF.

I watched a video of Foster talking about the design of 425 Park and he made a remark about how important the top of a tower is (or something to that effect, I watched it several weeks ago). So I’m hoping that’s an indication that 270 will have a nice crown.

6 Likes