700’ by Cook Fox should be quite nice
Bonus shot of old gems behind this site.
Bonus shot of the fountain in City Hall Park with the glorious Municipal Buildng in the background.
Yep, a missed opportunity for such a great spot
This idiotic Buildng despeatelt needs setbacks. CookFox clearly has some hacks on their staff, as their projects are either great or lame. They’re not consistent like KPF or SHoP.
Updated info from the developer’s presentation at a recent CB1 meeting:
- Recent zoning law changes have forced them to do some redesign work, delaying the project a bit. They may not even have the design ready to formally present until early 2017. Construction will definitely not start in 2016. I’m not sure if this is related to 421a or not. It may be, which would mean they’re removing an affordable component. That’s pure speculation on my part, though.
- It will be 650-700 feet, and about 55 floors.
- They are planning to build it as-of-right (no variances.)
- Units will be condos. There will also be retail at the base, managed in cooperation with the J&R people.
- 18 spaces of parking in a “complex” configuration both above and below grade, accessed from Theatre Alley in the back.
- They want to have a loading dock. Hilariously / sadly, zoning both requires and prohibits a loading dock in this instance. They’re trying to get the city to allow it by right, but have been rejected so far.
Thanks for the info.
Thanks Rich! Any renderings at the meeting?
No. They said they plan to be back before CB1 with renderings in “late 2016 or early 2017”. So it might be a while.
I wonder if the changes will be dramatic or merely minor. I assume the latter. This design is underwhelming for such a prominent site.
Nice picture, rbrome!
Beautiful old City Hall!
The Park Place tower should be visible from this perspective in a few years!
The impact this and the other building on Park Row have on the neighborhood will be tremendous. Will mark the true transition point between neglected old commercial space & thriving residential neighborhood, I think.