NEW YORK | 200 Greenwich St (2WTC) | 1,348 FT | 88 FLOORS | ON HOLD

From Metro:

“After that, it will be 2 WTC, which will take about four, four and a half years to build. I think we’ll land (a tenant) in 2019, so by 2022 or 2023 that should be a finished building as well. When we finish tower two, we’ll stop.”

As long as this is well underway by the 20th anniversary, I’ll be pleased.

“We’ll stop”? I’m sure Larry knows about the PAC and tower 5

He mentioned the PAC before that quote. I’m sure he meant that they won’t be developing anything else on the site since the PAC and 5WTC are by separate developers.

Something is going on where the living wall is supposed to go up. Hope that it has something to do with that.

I sure hope so! We need more plant life. The trees they placed in the planter look a little bleh in person. They should have put larger ones. Regardless, for the first time in almost 17 years I feel a sense of openness and freedom to move about the Trade Center again. It will suck for a few years again once Tower 2 starts going up but it’ll be well worth it and we have this to enjoy in the meantime:

Nice picture StrongIsland! The World Trade Center is really opened up now! I hope I can visit it again.

From Commercial Observer:

Speaking of 2 [WTC], you’ve had a hard time developing that building. You’ve missed out on a couple of major anchor tenants. Are you confident you’re going to get an anchor tenant? What does the timeline look like?

At some point, someone’s going to come along. An occupant will present themselves at some point in the not-too-terribly distant future. I’m quite confident it’s going to happen.

Number one, it’s a building that can support 3 million feet of space; it’s large, very large.

Number two, we already have two designs for it. One is designed by Norman Foster, a Pritzker Prize winner, another is designed by Bjarke Ingels.

Both designs are fascinating; they’re both very attractive. The Bjarke Ingels design was chosen by Rupert Murdoch. James Murdoch, his son, was particularly interested in Bjarke Ingels’ design and [wanted him to] design the building because they had made the decision to occupy half the space in Tower Two. The whole lease was fully negotiated out; it was really sad. But he decided last minute—he was upset with the state of the world at the end of ‘15 and beginning of ‘16. It looked like there were some potentially serious financial issues that were presenting themselves. And it was a serious question of whether we were going back down into a financial abyss out of which we had recently come. I remember him calling me on the 15th day of January 2016 telling me he was concerned and it would not be wise to go ahead. So that happened. But nevertheless as a result of it, we came out with a Bjarke Ingels alternate design for the building.

Do you know how much you’re paying in rent for the 2 World Trade site while it sits idle?

I don’t think we’re paying rent on the site. As I recall, the specifics of the ground lease, I think [we don’t pay rent] until such time as we start construction.

Looks like both designs are still on the table.

They definitely are.

That makes it sound like he personally favors the Foster design. I’m sure he’ll build whatever an anchor tenant prefers, but still… Interesting.

Yeah the wording makes it seem like they are both on the table. Why even mention Foster’s version if it wasn’t viable?