NEW YORK | 111 West 57th St | 1,428 FT | 91 FLOORS

one of the visions for 36 Central Park South, inaccurately superimposed. The Park Lane wold be demolished for it.

this is an old rendering of the park lane proposal. Almost most definitely will not look like that irl

Michael Stern
CEO, JDS Development
You hired an architectural historian to work at your firm. Why?
We do a lot of projects that have a landmarked or historic component. Architectural historian Marci Clark really helps us to identify the fabric and the DNA of what was there so that we can properly tell the story of what’s coming. In addition to [conducting] historical research, she really helps make sure that everything we do has design integrity, isn’t arbitrary and, you know, overly trendy.
You’re worried about being overly trendy?
I’ll give you a great example. At 111 West 57th Street, we’re designing a very tall tower that’s integrated with a wonderful landmark. We wanted to do a tower that was complementary to the landmark but wouldn’t overwhelm and mimic it — that’s a hard balance to find. We don’t want to make it look like a spaceship landed in a neighborhood. Very often, the past informs the right thing to do in the future, so to have somebody who can tell us why and how a neighborhood, or a building, came about in the first place is really helpful.

And you can tell. This building fits in seamlessly with its surroundings. The gold of the building compliments the gold on the Steinway Hall, the building (engineering marvels aside) looks like it could have always been there.
JDS (along with SHoP) is a gift to the city.

If anyone from SHoP or JDS is reading this…I’m tossing my hat into the ring as the official photographer/videographer for your next project. I would happily quit my day job to work w/you guys

Great shots!! Did you take them from that hotel bar across the street?

yeah really nice view from there. Waymond Wamano took a great shot of the Nordstrom awhile back from the roof of Carnegie Hall, which probably is a great vantage point for this too.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/ComplaintsByAddressServlet?requestid=1&allbin=1023728&fillerdata=A
Partial stop work order filed today
“8X4 PLATFORM OVER MECHANICAL SHAFT HAS NO DESIGNDRAWING FORM 37TH FLR UP”

About to reach 800 feet, right under the CitySpire Center (814 feet)

Hi Thomas, thanks for the info. I have been reading on this forum for a while, but another stop made me sign up now, since nobody is really reacting.

Can this take ages now?

It says the building will stop work for a bit, which I’m sure it will be temporary

Has this resumed construction yet? How far away are they from the next setback.

3 more floors to the setback
The 2 floors under the setback are mechanical

Click for full image

Nice one Thomas