NEW ROCHELLE | Development News

Just started assembling some pieces today… (3-26-18)

I find it very odd that this is the subject of controversy considering nobody has discussed any plans… some vocal residents here certainly take things too far. Regardless, in my honest opinion, the library is an eyesore in terms of design. It certainly hasn’t aged well

New Rochelle Residents Worry Public Library May Be Target For Redevelopment

New Rochelle residents are circulating a petition to save the library there.

The library – built in 1979 – sits in the heart of New Rochelle’s downtown, where there has been a lot of development in recent years, CBS2’s Tony Aiello reported.

“I feel people are strongly attached to the library, it’s basically a landmark for most people in New Rochelle,” said resident Beth Acocella.

She’s concerned about the library’s future. Several hundred people have signed the petition.

Several years ago, the site of the library was identified by the city as being particularly attractive to developers for future high-rises.

Now New Rochelle residents are concerned that there’s going to be a process that leads to the building being torn down, relocated or put into a high-rise building that the library board only leases, but doesn’t own.

“It’a all motivated by our residents’ love of the library, we understand that,” said library director Tom Geoffino.

Geofino says the library board is far from agreeing to any kind of redevelopment deal.

“Absolutely no conversation about that topic,” Geoffino said. “The board is not thinking about a new library building, not thinking about relocating.”

The library board of trustees, responding to growing concern, posted a message on their website.

“The Board feels strongly that the Library is the cultural center of New Rochelle and a vital resource for our community. The Board is committed to the Library continuing to maintain its place in the community and to being located at the center of our City,” the message says. “There are no plans at present to make any changes to the Library as it exists today.”

The board explained however that it “feels strongly that it is our responsibility to explore potential opportunities to improve and enhance the Library for its patrons in New Rochelle and for the broader Westchester area.

Consequently, they are in talks with a developer who is offering money to pay for an evaluation of the value of the library property.

“If the Library and [developer] RXR were to move to a second step following the valuation, discussion would likely commence regarding a detailed needs assessment for an enhanced facility and potential redevelopment opportunities. Any next step would involve an additional agreement that would be discussed and voted on by the Board.”

Geoffino says that even if the board takes the money, “There are no strings attached.”

For now, the library board says people should not assume how this book will end when the first chapter hasn’t even been written, Aiello reported.

For those curious, the library site along with the library green are located within the DO-1 Downtown Core District in the Downtown Overlay Zone. If the site were to utilize the zoning up to “Development Standard 3”, they would be able to develop up to 40 stories / 605 ft. max

from awhile back

hopefully a deal can be reached. The city won’t intervene if RXR or another developer hits the right mark and the Library agrees to sell. I want to see something of this scale now that smaller towers are proposed left and right.

The city wont weigh their hand regardless, so this deal is up to the library board. If RXR offers enough after the property valuation, we very well can see a great project in the works. The vision depicted in the rendering above is great, but I don’t believe it will be as complex as it’s shown. The smaller towers are also placed on other properties, so maybe they could do something similar, but it would most likely take longer.

In other news, there’s been a few signs of progress at The Standard, located at 251 North Ave / 76 Lecount Place. They recently delivered an excavator to the site, so hopefully we see further activity soon. Not my favorite project planned due to design and the developer himself, but I would hate to see the site sit empty.

excavation has begun. Photo by New Rochelle Development

The new Monroe dorms on Locust Avenue are now complete. Photo was taken prior to the last piece being put in place but I thought I’d share regardless.

As for other news, the Church-Division and 14 LeCount projects will be at next week’s planning board meeting (4/24).

251 North Avenue
partial demolition on the Star Building is underway, steel and piles are on site. Photo by New Rochelle Development

Sent an email to Mr. Aragon (development commissioner) regarding any progress or news about 45 Harrison. Sadly, it’ll be a while before we hear anything :frowning: It’s one of my favorite proposals so I hope nothing bad is happening behind the scenes.

In other news, we’ve got the planning board meeting happening tonight. I’m sure 14 LeCount and the Church-Division projects will be approved with ease

MacQuesten’s website says work will begin this summer. Im not concerned about it considering that city hall is anchoring it.

Good point, of course we will eventually see progress but I guess I’m just getting ahead of myself :stuck_out_tongue: It’s definitely one of my favorite project proposals so far.

Church-Division project was approved tonight. There was a lot of concern about the project being built upon a potential historic burial ground of (I believe) African slaves, I had actually have never heard about the subject until tonight. It seems like they’re willing to work with a archaeologist or historian to inspect if there is really anything there… but it just seems odd that it would be an issue now considering the site was disturbed already when the garage was being built. Nonetheless, we’ll see progress soon. Building A will be built before Building B, so there will be a noticeable time different between completion of the two parts.

Another important piece about the Church-Division project is that it will provide it’s required affordable housing in an entirely separate project based on Garden Street. I presume it will be a project entirely focused on affordable / workforce housing, which would be great to have in the downtown. It’s very exciting to hear about this since we have a hint of what’s to come!

As for 14 LeCount, it has also been approved. They had made slight changes to the design of the thinner building to make it look cleaner. Not a major change, but hopefully I can get an updated rendering soon. They also adjusted the setback for the wider tower on LeCount so it’s not as close to the beautiful 451 Main Street building… I believe the library used to be there many years ago. They expect to begin demolition on their sites this Summer, with construction beginning late Summer or early Fall.

Cappelli Joins with City Officials for Groundbreaking of The Standard, a New 14-story Residential Building in Heart of Downtown New Rochelle

Development on Site of Former Standard Star Newspaper Building Marks The Newest Project in City by Cappelli

Executives of the Cappelli Organization today joined with New Rochelle city officials for the groundbreaking of The Standard, a new 14-story residential building located on the site of the former Standard Star newspaper building in downtown New Rochelle.

The building site spans the block between 251 North Street and LeCount Place. The new building will feature 112 apartments and approximately 4,000 square feet of ground-level retail space. The apartments, which range from 440 to 755 square feet, will be comprised of 13 studios, 92 one-bedroom and 7 two-bedroom units.

The Standard will offer a combination of luxury amenities and easy access to mass transit that is very appealing to Millennials, a driving force in today’s rental market.

Amenities will include a rooftop deck with kitchen and cooking area; fitness center; business center/meeting/conference room; package concierge; virtual doorman; and a lounge with full kitchen, dining area, pool table and TV sets. There will also be an outdoor seating area with a fire pit on the ground floor located just off the community room. A storage area will be provided for bikes. Parking will be available in the adjacent New Roc City garage. The Standard is a five-minute walk from the Metro-North train station as well as the downtown’s many restaurants and retail stores.

Built in 1924, the Neo-Classical style building housed the operations of the Standard Star daily newspaper which left the building in 1975. The back portion that housed the printing presses will be demolished while the North Street façade will be preserved and incorporated into the new building. The project is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2019.

The start of the construction of The Standard marks a new strategy for the Cappelli Organization in New Rochelle to develop smaller rental units targeted to Millennials. Cappelli played a pivotal role in beginning the reimagination and revitalization of the City’s downtown. Over a 10-year period from 1997-2007, the company built approximately two million square feet of residential, entertainment, hotel, retail and garage properties. The signature projects include New Roc City, a 500,000 sf entertainment center with a movie theater as well as a 70,000 sf Stop and Shop, The Lofts at New Roc, a 125-room Marriott Residence Inn and the 40- story, 194-unit Trump Plaza Condominium tower which includes a 140,000 sf retail center.

“We are pleased to start our newest venture in downtown New Rochelle with The Standard,” said Louis Cappelli, Chairman and CEO of the Cappelli Organization. “When we opened New Roc City almost 20 years ago, we were pioneers in the revitalization of the downtown. Since then, the city has enjoyed a remarkable renaissance. The site of The Standard is an important in-fill parcel linking the New Roc complex to North Street. We have owned the site for years and now is the time for a creative project that will contribute new life to this strategically important area.”

He noted that retaining the classic facade of the old newspaper building preserves a link to the city’s past while adding a unique architectural element to the new building. “We’re happy to add The Standard to our project portfolio and to continue to play a role in the redevelopment excitement in downtown New Rochelle.”

“Today’s groundbreaking for The Standard marks yet another important step toward achieving our community’s vision of a walkable, vibrant, and diverse downtown that honors its history while embracing its future,” said New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson

New Rochelle IDA extends Nardozzi tax abatement deal

The New Rochelle Industrial Development Agency has amended a tax abatement deal to protect itself against the possibility that a portion of the $48 million 70 Nardozzi Place project isn’t built.

Simone Development Cos. in the Bronx and G&S Investors in Manhattan are building a $22.6 million public works facility for the city at Nardozzi Place. They also have approvals to build a health club and self-storage facility at the site and for a 25-year tax relief deal for the commercial elements.

Now the self-storage facility is in doubt, and if it is not built, an attorney for the developers said in a letter to the IDA, they would not achieve the financial benefits they expected under the original payment in lieu of taxes agreement.

Part of that PILOT agreement was designed to cover $2.6 million in capital costs for the public works facility, Luiz Aragon, commissioner of development, told the IDA board on Wednesday. If the storage facility is not built, the city would be on the hook for another $700,000.

He said extending the PILOT by five years would enable the city to recapture the $700,000.

The amended PILOT would cost the developers $1.6 million over 30 years, saving $9.2 million on the estimated full tax rate of $10.8 million.

The city plans to lease the 130,000-square-foot ground floor for $260,000 a year for 45 years, for offices and a garage.

LA Fitness will lease 37,000 square feet on the second level. The proposed self-storage facility would be in an adjacent, five-story structure.

The city also has started an eminent domain process to take the Auto Sunroof property at 54 Nardozzi Place, for more offices and a fueling station.

Charles B. Strome III, the city manager and IDA chair, said a couple of factors make a five-year extension acceptable. One, the city is saving about 30 percent on construction costs by having the developers build the public works facility. Two, the commercial elements of the project will not burden the school system with more students.

Ivar Hyden, vice chairman, said 30-year PILOTS are not policy, but the arrangement works because of the public works facility.

“We’re not going to be giving out 30-year PILOTS on residential buildings,” he said.

The board unanimously approved the 30-year PILOT resolution. It is meant as an alternative to the 25-year tax abatement deal, only if the self-storage facility is not built.

“We’re still trying to get the self-storage deal done,” said Peter J. Wise, the developers’ attorney.

“So far, it just hasn’t gelled.”

TenCom is approved

https://westfaironline.com/102221/eurban-developer-brp-looks-to-new-rochelle-for-57m-suburban-project/

BRP Development Corp. has received city approvals to build a $57 million mixed-income apartment building at 10 Commerce St., on the periphery of the city’s downtown.
[…]
A BRP representative said at the IDA meeting that construction could begin late this year or early next year and will take two years to build.

Gonna be cool to watch this one rise! Also hoping they’re able to roll forward with their vision for 500 Main Street.

The Huguenot | 391 Huguenot Street | 6 FLOORS

Permits filed / requested to demolish existing one-story building to make way for the new project.

This is across the street from 587 Main, yes?

Correct. This project is going where the current U-Haul location is. I think they wanted to wait until all of the traffic going to 587 slowed down, so that’s why they didn’t start right away

looks like some solider piles are in place and they’ve dug into the basement of the Standard Star.

photo by New Rochelle Development