Minecraft Project: Downtown Manhattan in 1954

Not really any I can think of other than try to lay areas out first before building as that leads to downfall often. Make sure everything lines up so you’re saved the suffering of demolishing whole buildings

New update.

Additions:

• Added the block that holds Liberty Tower

• Finished the block east of Singer once and for all

• Added the two blocks that later became 7WTC (one has an adorable flatiron tenement, the other an anorexic building only one block wide)

• Began some buildings on the block of Maiden-Broadway-John-Nassau

Other:

• Renovated the Guaranty Trust Building. It now has a copper roof as well as a renovated facade. The annex building also has renovations to it. (The annex building, 60 Liberty, is the 17 story white building directly connected to it)

• Renovated the American Exchange National Bank / Guaranty Trust Building. It now has roof access.

I have a plate from the 1955 landbook that shows Radio Row, and I thought I’d show the progress on this plate alone.

I have 595 buildings as I write this. I will add 4 more buildings, then I’ll add the Washington Market back. It’ll get me to 600 buildings total and finish Radio Row once and for all at the same time.

Bonus:

I thought I’d add pictures of buildings I find underrated or overlooked in the map or in NY in general that were demolished without a whimper. Every time I post I’ll share two.

1: The Fidelity Casualty Building, at 92 Liberty Street. Liberty and Temple. Built in 1910 and demolished in 1969.

2: The North American Trust Building, 135 Broadway. Broadway and Cedar. Built in 1899, cut down to 2 stories in 1969, and demolished in 1980.

I’ll be back soon.

looks really good bro great work!

Add some 1950s cars

I’d like to but cars wouldnt work with the elevation especially on Broadway. The tires would sink through the road and it would get messy

It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, despite I continue to work on my projects. Your work is still amazing, just like your researches. BTW thank you very much for the images on SSC :slight_smile:

I also saw the video on YouTube, very interesting! It would be cool if you added a silver brick on the top of the Singer Building as an easter egg, I’ll put it on mine even though my models are not exactly ‘playable’.

From “A History of the Singer Building Construction”: “One of the bricks at the top of the Tower was made of silver, instead of clay, to emphasize the fact that it’s the highest brick in the world.”

No problem. I actually forgot about that brick. I do have a small glowing conduit thingy surrounded by stone buttons, but I guess that’s the closest I can get to that legendary brick. Wonder what became of it…

I think I saw your Washington Life model with 135 Broadway on another forum. It all looks great so far, how’s that been going? I’d love to see the Fidelity Buildings when you model them.

Pretty good news for this update.

I finally hit 600 buildings. I think it’s safe to say now this is the largest/most accurate Lower Manhattan MC project.

Firstly, I had to revoke 3 buildings where 250 Broadway is now. They apparently were demolished in the 30s.

With that I did renovations next door to the buil-… the fra-… what the hell is this?

Now, for the additions:

• Added the Evening Post Building

• Added 14 Vesey Street

• Added 5 tenements on Barclay Street (including the mansard roof building at 16 Barclay) all demolished between 1960 and 2004 for 10 Barclay Street

• Added the Washington Market, my 600th building. With this added, I now not only have 600 buildings, but Radio Row is now, in every sense, done.

This week’s underrated buildings:

1: City Investing Building. 1908-1968. Of course it is mourned as being the site of 1 Liberty Plaza, but the Singer Building steals most of the show. This one was a great building, enormous at that, and it’s completely asymmetrical design was quite a spectacle. It helps to challenge the Singer Building in that way rather than obscure it.

Also some damn fine interiors:

2: Roebling Building. 1927-1970. Nice deco building demolished for the WTC. Second tallest to come down for it.

Congratulations, this is incredible work :slight_smile:

Thanks; I appreciate it.

Mini update: no pictures here. I have revoked 1 tenement from Radio Row’s count (didn’t really exist, even landbooks are misleading) and added 10 so far on the block north of WTC7s site.

I also finished the long demolished tenements next door to 125 Barclay Street, which somehow defied all odds and is still standing.

Full update will come in a few days.

Nice work. I always wondered what at the WTC site before it was built. I always thought is was just industrial buildings since it was so close to the water front.

This map is available for download? It is interesting to see this city. Otherwise, this epic work.

Not available since it’s nowhere close to done but on the “better” together version it’s open to whoever on most days. Not sure what versions people can join on though

Very sorry. This is version 1.13?

V 1.7 on the console / windows / pe version

Small notice. I’ll post pics next week, but something big is coming.

That is if I can get around minecraft lag. My map keeps shooting from 80 Megabytes to 150, then back to 100, then 80, and not even mentioning that blocks I place are invisible for a solid minute.

I honestly hope that the people running this game are publicly executed.

Anyway, update next week.